You won’t believe how easy it is to make these Almond Butter Birthday Cake Blondies. They are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and easily made egg-free too. Rainbow sprinkles make this wholesome treat taste like birthday cake. However, you can easily add in or replace them with chocolate chips if you’d like a more classic blondie. Kids are going to love getting into the kitchen to make these healthier blondies with you!
Kids in the Kitchen:
- Mise en place!: that’s the French phase for getting everything prepared and ready. Kids can help get out the ingredients and equipment you’ll need for the recipe. Then start measuring the ingredients together.
- Use a large bowl. Mixing in a large bowl means less mess when cooking with kids. I try and always and demonstrate what speed I’d like kids to stir before letting them have a turn. Most likely, their mixing will result in at least a little spillage, but that’s ok. With practice, kids will eventually learn to better control the spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle those sprinkles! Kids will love adding the sprinkle to the batter then showering the top of the pan with even more at the end. Just make sure you measure or add the sprinkles to a separate container/bowl so kids don’t accidentally dump the whole jar of sprinkle onto the top.
Subs and Tips for Making Almond Butter Blondies:
- Egg-Free: Use a flax “egg” instead: mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- No almond flour?: I have not tried this recipe with any other kinds of flour so I can’t recommend a substitution. I like to buy my almond flour from Costco, but most grocery stores carry it in the natural foods section or near the other types of flours.
- Want to make this Paleo friendly?: Leave out the sprinkles and maybe add some naturally sweetened chocolate chips instead. I like the Hu gems or Lily’s Chocolate Chips that have no sugar added.
- Dye-free sprinkles: I love buying dye-free sprinkles at the Bakery section of Whole Foods or they are available online. Click HERE to see my list of favorite on Amazon. Dye-free sprinkles can be a little expensive and hard to find, so use whatever sprinkles you can find or prefer.
Almond Butter Birthday Cake Blondies
- square baking pan
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter (almonds only ingredient)
- 1 large egg or egg substitute
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar use 1/3 cup for less sweet bars
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine salt use 1/8 tsp if your almond butter is salted
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp almond flour not almond meal
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom and up the side of an 8-inch square baking pan or cake pan then lightly grease the paper.
- In a large bow, mix almond butter, egg, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Mix in baking soda and salt then stir in the almond flour and 1/2 of the sprinkles.
- Spread batter into an even layer in your prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining rainbow sprinkles over the top.
- Bake until puffed around the edges and set in the center, 18 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely then cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container at room temp for 4 to 5 days.
Save to Pinterest!
Other Sweet Treats to Try: