Looking for an easy, homemade healthy Mac and cheese? No flour, high in protein, and packed with veggies, this Superhero Mac and Cheese makes kids and parents very happy. Greek yogurt gives the sauce a creamy texture and nutritious boost. Plus, the cheesy pasta dish is only made with 5 simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. Have your kiddo get into the kitchen and blend up the super green sauce with you. Although it’s packed with spinach, your toddler or big kid won’t even taste it.
This post is sponsored by Stonyfield Organic, but all recipes, opinions, and words are 100% authentic and my own.
Kids in the Kitchen:
- Pasta: Once you add the pasta to the boiling water, kids can help give it a quick stir. To do this safely, you can hold a long wooden spoon near the top of the handle and your child can place a hand around yours while you stir.
- Add that spinach!: Kids can help measure and add the yogurt and other ingredients to the blender. However, the most important step for them to help with is add the greens! Don’t hide the spinach, but talk about the superhero strength the super greens will give you when you eat the Mac and cheese.
- Countdown: to prepare for the blender noise, I have kids help me do a “5, 4, 3, 2, 1…cover your ears!” countdown so they don’t get startled by the blender turning on. They can also help switch the blender on or push the button.
- Stir it up: Kids can add the cooked pasta to the sauce and help stir it up. Use a potholder or a towel on the pot handle to make sure your little one doesn’t touch the hot pot.
- Serve: Let kids put just a “taste test” portion into a bowl if they are hesitant to give it a try. Also, offering some extra cheese to sprinkle on top might get kids more interested in the green pasta.
Subs and Tips for Superhero Mac and Cheese:
- Type of pasta: We love these little wheel pastas from a company called Severno, but any small shaped pasta like elbows, shells, or fusilli will work well.
- Yogurt: I love using Stonyfield Organic grass-fed Greek yogurt in this recipe because it’s such a high quality, delicious yogurt. Greek yogurt also makes this a higher protein Mac and cheese. However, any plain Greek yogurt or regular plain yogurt will work as well. If you use non-Greek style yogurt, the sauce will be a little less thick and creamy.
- Gluten free: Since there’s no flour in the sauce, if you use a gluten-free pasta, this dish will be completely gluten free. You can use grain-free, chickpea/bean based, or any kind of pasta in this recipe. Just make sure to cook it and drain it according to the package instructions.
- Types of cheese: Since the yogurt gives the sauce a nice tang, I like to use a very mild flavored cheese like a mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or a mild cheddar. However, any cheese you like will work in the sauce. You can use pre-grated cheese or grate the cheese yourself.
- No spinach?: Kiddo really not a fan or green food or just want to try something different? Leave out the spinach entirely (you may need to add a little water to the sauce in the end to think it out) or blend in 1/2 cup cooked cauliflower.
Superhero Mac and Cheese
- 12 oz small shaped pasta (any kind)
- 1 cup plain, full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (4 oz) I use whipped but regular will work too.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 3 packed cups baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or add to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder optional
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then cook pasta according to package instructions. Once pasta is cooked, drain into a colander and place the empty pot back onto the stove.
- Add yogurt, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and spinach to a blender. Blend until everything is well combined and the sauce is bright green.
- Pour the green sauce into the empty pasta pot. Stir the sauce over medium-low heat until just warmed through. Stir in the cooked pasta then season with salt and garlic powder, if using.
- The pasta is best served right away. If the sauce gets cold before serving, add a 1/4 cup of hot water and stir until sauce is creamy again.
Save to Pinterest!
Other recipes to try: